The Jon Williamson FUTURES QUEST®
Become a Futures Quest Mentor
What is Futures Quest?
The purpose of Futures Quest is to provide leadership training to men who have recently joined their fraternity. Participants will be asked to plan their future leadership responsibilities by determining the most successful route to his desired summit.
Who Can Become a Mentor?
Mentors are graduates of the Undergraduate Interfraternity Institute (UIFI) and must be active undergraduate members, in good standing, of their fraternity/sorority. Mentors need to have a strong understanding of and commitment to their fraternal values. Although the participants are men only, women are strongly encouraged to apply to be Mentors, as mentor teams will be composed of both male and female mentors.
What is the Mentor's Role?
The Mentor's role is to guide participants through their journey by sharing experiences, leading discussions, challenging current views, and facilitating activities. The Mentor will serve as a role model and support person for each participant's quest.
Specific expectations include:
- Reviewing all advanced mailing and training materials prior to arriving to the Futures Quest session.
- Adhering to the curriculum developed by the NIC by conducting all exercises, meetings, and small group activities outlined in the facilitator guide.
- Serving as an active participant and role model during Futures Quest from beginning to end.
- Respecting and upholding the policies and philosophies of the North-American Interfraternity Conference, your organization, and your campus.
- Living at the retreat site for the duration of the program.
- Supporting the substance-free policy of Futures Quest, notifying the NIC staff if you become aware of violations of the policy, and sharing the expectation with the participants.
- Covering your own travel expenses to and from the retreat site.
- Arriving prepared to be a Mentor with a positive attitude, a willingness to take risks with your "cool cap" removed, and ready to have fun.
When and Where is Futures Quest?
Two sessions of Futures Quest will run over winter break. All sessions will be held at YMCA Camp Tecumseh in Central Indiana. Session dates are:
- Session One: December 14-17, 2012
- Session Two: January 3-6, 2013
Applying to be a mentor
Mentor applications were due on October 15, 2012. Those who have applied will know their status by November 5, 2012.
The following organizations and foundations are offerining full or partial scholarships for their members to attend Futures Quest:
Alpha Epsilon Pi
Alpha Kappa Lambda
Delta Tau Delta
Phi Kappa Psi
Richard G. Miller Memorial Foundation
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Zeta Beta Tau